There are so many reasons to love Meghan Markle - she was part of the massively amazing (and addicting!) series “Suits,” she’s a women’s rights advocate, AND she’s Prince Harry’s wife, no biggie.
Well, we’re adding one more reason to that list - she knows how to cook chicken adobo! In a post in her now-defunct blog The Tig, the actress shared that she was exposed to a lot of Filipino cuisine when she lived in Los Angeles as a child.
“Growing up in LA, with its melting pot of vast and varied cultures, I was no stranger to the Filipino community. I can whip up a big pot of chicken adobo like it’s nobody’s business,” she wrote.
Meghan also explained that it was in LA where she learned a few Filipino phrases, and she even went viral because of it!
“You’ll occasionally hear me toss out a ‘Salamat po’ conversationally simply because the culture, vernacular of Tagalog, and insanely delicious food of the Philippines brings back fond memories of my childhood as an Angeleno,” she said.
Here’s Meghan’s adobo recipe from food blog Hungry Forever.
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3-pound chicken cut into pieces
1 large sliced onion
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/3 cup white vinegar
2/3 cups soy sauce
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp black pepper
1 Bay Leaf
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet on a medium flame.
2. Add the chicken pieces and cook until golden brown in color.
3. Remove the chicken and add onions and garlic to oil.
4. Cook till the onions are brown.
5. Add vinegar, soy sauce, garlic powder, black pepper, and bay leaf.
6. Add the chicken and turn the flame to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
7. Reduce the flame to medium-low, cover the pan and let the dish simmer for about 40 minutes or till the chicken is tender.
Meghan became the Duchess of Sussex after her wedding to Prince Harry last Saturday, May 19. We hope she cooks chicken adobo for the entire royal family as well!
Still high on that royal wedding feeling? Check out these Kapamilya celebrities’ dreamy weddings!
Billy at Coleen, kasal na!
Rachelle Ann Go is officially Mrs. Spies! <3
Erwan and Anne's wedding video proves love is real
Here's how much the #aKHOandmyBELOved wedding cost