Pia Wurtzbach recently bagged the Miss Universe crown for the Philippines after 42 years.
Everything Pia did onstage was truly a highlight, but what may well be the best was how she fared in the question and answer portion.
It's not easy to nail that portion, because it's an equal combination of intelligence, eloquence, and grace.
Award-winning broadcast journalist Korina Sanchez laid out a set of clear guidelines on how to give an astonishing pageant answer that will help ace a hopeful's way to the crown.
1. PREPARE. Tongue exercise is advisable to prevent yourself from stuttering.
2. THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK. Before you even think about impressing the masses or getting the message clear, it is essential to ensure that you make sense.
3. BE HONEST. It's not enough that you're right, you should be honest as well. But don’t let yourself be thrown into a dramatic moment where you have your tears speak for yourself. Be certain that answers are better explained with words.
4. DO NOT SAY ANYTHING THAT WILL LEAD TO ANOTHER QUESTION OR MAKE THE PERSON TALKING TO YOU DOUBT YOU. You should know how to back up your answers.
5. IN CASE YOU DON'T KNOW THE TOPIC THEY'RE ASKING, LOOK FOR A KEYWORD THAT WOULD GIVE YOU AN IDEA TOWARDS AN ANSWER. Most of the time you derive your answers from the question itself, so it’s better to look for a keyword and take your response from there.
6. BE CREATIVE. Don't be complacent when the question sounds cliché. Think of creative ways on how you can best answer it that will showcase your personality as well.
7. BE UNIVERSAL. Make sure that the whole world, not just the judges, can understand what you are saying.
8. AVOID A SCRIPTED ANSWER. Even if you practice Q&A before the pageant, remember to speak your heart out during portion itself. Make your answer more personable.
9. TALK ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCE. BE UNIQUE. If possible, it’s better to relate your answer to your own experience to make it more realistic and different from other candidates.
Korina wrapped up the discussion saying, “Remember kapag kayo ang tinanong, it's okay to compose your thoughts first. It's alright to take two to three seconds to compose your thoughts.
"But don't take too long. Just concentrate on the guy that you're talking to and don't think about talking to a million or more people. Use the language that you are comfortable with. Even if you were asked in English, it's Binibining Pilipinas, mag-Tagalog kayo.”
The ultimate online fan experience gets even better here at starcinema.com.ph
. See other latest news here,
visit our online store
, and talk about your favorite stars, movies, and TV shows on Fans Speak
Follow Star Cinema:
Google Plus: ABSstarcinema
For more updates on your favorite Star Cinema movies, continue to visit www.starcinema.com.ph